If you have ever made sushi at home you know the rice is the tricky part. Not that it is difficult, just takes the right amount of water, the right cooking time and the rice vinegar mixture makes all the difference. Also, ignoring the instructions on the sushi rice package. LOL. Seriously!
This rice, minus the vinegar mix but adding in sugar and coconut milk, make a wonderful dessert. Sticky rice and mango! Definitely a family favorite. I will be posting that one as soon as mangos are in season! Not worth eating with a hard, tasteless, unripe mango! Believe me, we have tried, more than once.
And if you haven’t seen my post about California Rolls go check it out. Has the recipe for making the rolls and some great ideas for what you will need to make homemade sushi! Like, if you are going to make sushi rice, you really should have a bamboo Sushi Rice Bowl!!
Let me know what you think!! And don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t turn out perfect the first time!! There is an art to making sushi! Believe me, I am still learning!!
Best of luck! ~Jeanne
The Best Sushi Rice Recipe
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
Rice Vinegar Mixture
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp mirin
- Its going to be hard to do but ignore the directions on the sushi bag. Rinse only 3-5x. Water does not have to run clear. Put rice in colander and let it drain for 30-60 min
- Add rice and water to pot. Bring quickly to a boil, give it a nice stir, then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot with lid and cook for 15 min. DO NOT take the lid off.
- Remove from heat and let set for 10 min. STILL DO NOT REMOVE LID!
- While rice is cooling combine rice vinegar, mirin, sugar and salt. Mix well. Warm in microwave to help dissolve the salt and sugar. Don't get too hot. If you do just let it cool a little
- After rice has set for 10 min. Transfer rice to wooden bowl. If you don't have a wooden bowl, use any bowl. Just know the wood helps absorb the extra moisture.
- Add vinegar mixture to rice and toss to coat. Cool to room temp. Turning up rice a few times to help it cool.
- Now your rice is ready to make sushi!!