Hey you guys!! Hope this post finds you all happy, healthy and fed!
I got this Pizza Twist recipe a long time ago when I use to sell Pampered Chef, and have been making it ever since. My entire family loves it. My kids have always been “dippers” whether it’s waffles, veggies, chicken nuggets… so on. I think because of that, they LOVED that they could dip their pizza! (you serve the sauce on the side) Pretty sure you can get pizza sauce at any local grocery store, but Trader Joe’s if my favorite. It is actually my favorite place to buy groceries, and flowers, and random skin care products… I’ll stop there, haha. I just love it!
Like I was saying, this is a family fav and it is super easy. It is also a great beginner meal for teaching kids to cook. You can vary the ingredients according to how you like your pizza. My husband and I like Canadian bacon and pineapple, the kids however, do not. So we usually just stick with what the kids like. You can do half and half, just make sure you’re putting it on the bottom halves of each French bread loaf. Not one entire loaf, because they do get twisted together. And if you like to have things like onions, bell peppers, sausage, etc… you need to precook those ingredients before you add it. It won’t get cooked wrapped inside the loaf.
I have shared this recipe quite a few times throughout the years, and I always get great feedback. Let me know if you make it and how it went!!
Have a great weekend,
- 2 packages refrigerated French bread dough (11 oz each)
- 1 jar pizza sauce, warmed up
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 package mini pepperonis (or any size, just cut them into small pieces)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 F
- 2. Pleace bread dough, seam side up, on a floured surface. Using a sharp knife, slice each loaf lengthwise end to end, cutting halfway through to center of loaf; spread open flat. If dough is a little sticky, sprinkle with a little four, make a little well down center of each loaf.
- 3. Spoon half of the pepperoni mixture down center of each loaf. Gather up edges over filling, pinching firmly to seal.
- 4. Place loaves on baking sheet or stone, seam side down, in an “X” pattern. Crisscross ends of dough to form a large “8” pattern. Leaving a 1 ½ inch opening in center of twist. (This helps the dough bake all the way through)
- 5. Separate egg from yolk. Keeping egg white, add seasoning mix and beat together. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush all overdough.
- 6. Using a serrated knife, make a few 2 inch slits, at the top section of each twist, revealing the filling.
- 7. Grate fresh Parmesan cheese over loaf.
- 8. Spray top of Aluminum foil with non-stick spray, and place lightly, loosley over twist.
- 9. Bake 30-40 min, then remove foil and bake for 5-10 min. more, until a nice golden brown.
- 10. Remove and cool for 5 min. Cut into slices. Serve with warm pizza sauce, if desired.