It’s that time of year again, the holidays!! Only this year, things won’t quite be the same. With the recommended “stay home” request, I won’t be entertaining like I usually do. Which is depressing on top of an already depressing year. But, that being said, we all to try our best at finding the silver linings and making the most of our current situation.
So my house is fully decorated, and I’ve started making all kinds of fun simple syrups to add into cocktails. The family is all home… so it’s not drinking alone, right!?!
This was my first time making a Cranberry Mule. Mules are usually made with vodka. I’ve made some with tequila before, but this is a first making it with a spiced rum. And I was pleasantly surprised how refreshing and delicious it was. I will be adding it into the rotation.
Don’t let the prep time turn you away, it’s for the sugared cranberries, otherwise the drink takes a couple minutes to make. The cranberries are optional, but I think worth it. Just be festive. Festive is always worth it!
Comment and tag me in your photos if you make these. I wanna know what you think!
Cheer ~ Jeanne
Sugared Cranberries (For Garnishing)
- 12 oz. fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup simple syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 oz. unsweetened cranberry juice -do NOT use cranberry cocktail
- 3 oz. ginger beer
- 1 1/2 oz. spiced rum
- Ice, for serving
Make the Sugared Cranberries (Optional)
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a wire cooling rack on top of the lined baking sheet, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, measure in the simple syrup.
- Toss the cranberries in the simple syrup, removing them with a slotted spoon, then place on the wire cooking rack.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until the berries are sticky.
- When the berries are sticky, measure the sugar into a large bowl.
- Toss the cranberries in the sugar until coated, then transfer back to the wire cooling rack.
- Coat all the cranberries, then refrigerate for an additional hour before using.
Make the Cranberry Mules
- Place a handful of ice in a copper mug.
- Combine the cranberry juice, ginger beer, rum and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake until combined, then pour over ice.
- Serve with sugared cranberries as garnish, and enjoy immediately.
- The prep time includes the total making of the sugared cranberries. The drink takes only a few minutes to make when all is said and done.
Large Batch Mules in a Pitcher!
- In a large (at least 2 1/2 quarts) glass pitcher, combine the following: 16 oz. unsweetened cranberry juice (do NOT use cranberry cocktail 24 oz. ginger beer 12 oz. spiced rum 8 oz. simple syrupStir with a long cocktail spoon or a wooden spoon if you don't have a spoon long enough. Add ice and/or frozen cranberries to keep it cool, and serve.
Leave a Reply