If you’re a fan of pasta and love a little spice in your food, then you’ll absolutely love southwest beefy pasta. This dish takes classic pasta and infuses it with the bold and flavorful ingredients of the Southwest, resulting in a mouth-watering meal that’s sure to become a family favorite.
To make southwest beefy pasta, you’ll need a few key ingredients. First, you’ll need beef – preferably ground beef, but you can also use steak, ground turkey or even shredded beef if you prefer. You’ll also need some pasta – any type will do, but something with a bit of texture, such as rotini or penne, works particularly well. For the Southwest flavor, you’ll need spices such as cumin, chili powder, and paprika. (Click Southwest Seasoning to make your own) Some additional ingredients that could be used as well would be bell peppers, onions, and corn. I don’t add those because, well… kids! Finally, you’ll need some cheese – cheddar or Monterey jack both work well.
To make the dish, start by cooking the beef in a large skillet until it’s browned and cooked through. While the beef mixture is simmering, cook the pasta according to the package instructions. If you are adding in some additional veggies like diced onions and bell peppers, along with some garlic if desired, this would be the step to add them and cook, until the vegetables are tender. Next, add in your Southwest Seasoning (if you don’t have one, its super easy to make your own, and way better) – and stir until the beef and vegetables (if you’re using them) are coated in the seasoning. Then, add in a can of diced tomatoes and broth, then let the mixture simmer for a few minutes until the flavors have melded together.
While the beef mixture is simmering, cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the beef mixture, stirring until everything is well combined.
The end result is a delicious and hearty meal that’s perfect for any night of the week. The combination of spicy beef, tender pasta, and melted cheese is truly irresistible, and if you choose to add the addition of vegetables adds a nutritious twist to the dish. Plus, because it’s made in just one pan, clean-up is a breeze.
Southwest beefy pasta is a great meal to serve to guests, as it’s easy to make in large quantities and always impresses with its bold flavors. Plus, it’s a great way to mix up your usual pasta routine and add a little variety to your dinner table. So the next time you’re craving something spicy and satisfying, give southwest beefy pasta a try – you won’t be disappointed!
- large pot
- large sauce pan
- 1 lb ground beef or meat of you choice
- 14 oz diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1 cup beef stock
- 12 oz Cacitappi pasta or pasta of choice
- 2 tbsp southwest seasoning
- 1/4 cup sour cream or heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese blend
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and cook pasta according to package directions, except, cook to aldente.Reserve ¾ cup of pasta cooking water.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to pan, add beef and southwest seasoning. Cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until beef is browned and cooked through. 4 to 6 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, cook, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute.
- Add ¼ cup of pasta water and the beef broth. (save the rest of the pasta water to possibly use later) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and stir in drained pasta, cour cream, and cheese. Stir until blended. Add reserved pasta water, a little at a time, if need to make sure pasted is coated in creamy sauce. Serve warm and enjoy!Garnish with sliced scallions if you have them.
Leave a Reply